I have a new moss skirt which definitely counts as stash busting as I bought exactly nothing to make it.
I wasn’t planning to make myself a skirt. My next project was a Tova top for my mum’s birthday but that got stalled as I couldn’t find the pattern anywhere. (I think it’s probably saved in my old email account, the one that I’m locked out of). But after a few days of being ill I wanted to do some sewing. So instead I cut out a Moss mini from my to do pile (just like mine, but smaller, a present for an old friend) and I worked out that I had just enough of the leftover fabric from my curtains to make the shorter version for me. So I cut both of them out Monday evening. Cutting out is not my favourite task but I felt virtuous afterwards.
On Tuesday I went round to my Mum’s to watch the Sewing Bee and discovered (as I hoped) that she had the Tova pattern saved on her computer (as that’s where I’d printed it out before), so I was able to print out and tape up the Tova pattern in the smaller sizes. It’s now draped over a chair in my living room with the fabric waiting for me to have time/chance/peace to cut it out.
Then my week got busy. I didn’t get chance to sew anything until Friday – when I made a start on both the mini’s, production line style and got them both about 1/3 done in an hour.
I decided to
be selfish use mine as a practice for the zip on the one for a present so I went ahead and did more on it last night and finished it this morning.
Actually, there was another reason I chose to get this one finished first. I couldn’t decide if it would make a nice garment or a there’s a reason you can’t buy this in the shops item. I think I’ve decided it’s the former.
I cut a size 16 this time as the 18 I made before is huge. I still ended taking it in at the back seam a cm or two. But I also ended up resewing most of the side seams with less seam allowance as it was a bit tight around the hips.
As I only had just enough fabric left I used some thin demin offcuts to face the pockets (which don’t show). I also used a strip of this cut on the bias to face the bottom of the skirt. The short version is rather short (fair enough, it’s a mini) and I was slightly alarmed when I tried it on. I faced the hem rather than folding it over twice as I didn’t want to loose any more length than I had to (even though I only plan to wear this over leggins).
I had been planning to piece the waistband together out of my remaining scraps of fabric. But when I found out I might have to use more than 4 pieces to get a long (or is that wide?) enough strip for a waistband I opted for plan B. Which was to pick the remaining waistband off the trousers that I cut up to make my Swirly skirt and use that instead. This was not really time saving in the end with all the unpicking, but worked amazingly well, I didn’t even have to do any resizing. As a bonus it came with belt loops (but as this skirt actually fits I don’t need to wear a belt with this one) a pre done button hole and a jeans style belt button.
My major headache with the make was breaking the zip this morning, I must have not sewn it in properly and it slid off the end. I got it fixed in the end and have sewn over the bottom to stop that happening it again.
I’m really pleased with my bonus skirt. I like the darker grey cord waistband with the fabric and I’m not bothered by the fact the pattern doesn’t match at all (the only pattern choice I had space to make was to have a bird peeping out of the top of my left pocket) – it doesn’t show much on this fabric. I may even be inspired to take the waistband off my other moss and refit it when I’m doing the waistband for the one I’m making as a gift.
Right, off to try the skirt out in public now and see if I get laughed at for wearing something made from curtain fabric….