Quick pick me up

So, I’ve nearly finished the present I was making for the boys birthday and it’s less than a week from his birthday and I’ve written lots of a blog post about it as I went along. But then I got stuck on the zip. I thought I knew how to do zips, after all the Presido bag’s I’ve made. Turns out sewing stiff zips to stretchy knit fabric is a whole other ball game….

So, yesterday evening, feeling despondent about zips and not inspired to unpick the black zip off the mainly black knit fabric that was sewn on in black (arrghh) I looked at one of the (non black) remnant bits of fabric from the make, and I looked at the starry t shirt I made her last week and it looked big enough to be the main body. Plus it co-ordinated with one of the other bits of fabric I’d bought half a metre of at the same time, one that I really did mean to buy just half a metre of. It’s a great turquoise fabric with white polka dots and the odd one coloured in. I love it but thought it would be too much in a whole garment. So I thought I might make t shirt sleeves out of it on a garment for me. But surely I could make t shirt sleeves for the girl out of it too and still have some left…

DSCF6628

I used Simplicity 1573 again, the body is a little narrower (but not much, less than 1/2″ maybe) than intended on the fabric due to fabric restrictions (there just was not enough, even after I retraced the pattern and reduced the seam allowance by 1/4″ to a less wasteful 3/8″) so I had to ease the sleeve heads in slightly, but you can’t tell. It looked too short when done (I think it’s more a wide fit on reflection but it’ll last a while, bonus), so I added a band at the bottom. I also added a pocket, that I cut too tall and then trimmed to short and then realised I hadn’t considered where the coloured spots would fall. Ho hum. I thought spotty neckband might be too much on top, but hubby was hanging around and voted for it (plus the alternative was just to turn the neckline under and sew down as there was not even enough plain left for a mouse garment).

Of course, a new garment has to be photographed STRAIGHT AWAY, so if the ideal model is in bed, you get a stand in (and yes, those curtains are falling apart, they came with the house and are horrid, so I don't want to waste time fixing them, but I don't want to make new ones until we've deorated the room)

Of course, a new garment has to be photographed STRAIGHT AWAY, so if the ideal model is in bed, you get a stand in (and yes, those curtains are falling apart, they came with the house and are horrid, so I don’t want to waste time fixing them, but I don’t want to make new ones until we’ve deorated the room)

So, there we go, one quick pick me up make. That made the boy cross with me (it doesn’t take much, and yes, he knows about the nearly finished thing which is much more complicated than a t shirt, well a bit more). So now for some gratuitous shots, cos I got some for once.

DSCF6651

DSCF6649

Gosh, I didn’t notice the bags under her eyes at the time, blame the end of the school week.

Gosh, I didn't notice the bags under her eyes at the time, blame the end of the school week.

DSCF6624

6 thoughts on “Quick pick me up

  1. Good work, that looks really tidy and smart. Well done for all the ‘making it work’ adjustments too.

  2. Pingback: Prolific Project Starter | Going round in circles

  3. Pingback: Prolific Project Starter | Yet another in a seemingly endless line of t shirt makes

  4. Pingback: Prolific Project Starter

  5. Pingback: Prolific Project Starter | They’ll do I suppose Leggings

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s