The Original Idea: Black front and back, with the navy blue fabric with orange stars on used for sleeves, neckband, a band around the bottom and to applique his initial on the front. Oh and using Simplicity 1573 again.
The Design Brief: Unfortunately the boy got wind of this and asked for a kangaroo pocket on the front with access only at one side (?!) and patches of the star fabric sewn on the main fabric at random.
The Compromise: Black front with star kangaroo pocket (with conventional double opening), star sleeves, star neckline, and over half of the back in star fabric due to limitations of resources.
The Make: Fairly straight forward. The neckline I attached like over sized bias binding again. No disasters. Oh, I decided to widen the neckline before adding the neckband as it’s cut for a 1.5cm seam allowance that I wouldn’t be using. I just trimmed it by eye. Then had to spend 10 minutes trying to neaten it up so it was symmetrical again. I settled for “good enough” and repeated my mantra when sewing children’s clothes “he won’t keep still long enough for anyone to notice” until I forgot about it.
The Kangaroo pocket: Self drafted, by eye. Double sided so the white back to the star fabric doesn’t show. I folded a piece into a rectangle about the right size, decided to take a little length off, cut the corners of to make the slopey pocket opening, sewed almost all the way around with right sides folded together, turned it the right way out, pressed it, topstitched the pocket openings with my twin needle, topstitched it down with my twin needle. Done.
Other design features: The join of fabrics on the back has topstitching to hold the seam allowance in place. The back was cut too long so I could trim it to the correct length, then I decided to have a high low hem. I drew and cut a pretty curve shape at the sides, but then I was in a hurry to finish it before school pick up, so it ended up with slopey bits at either side that are approximately symmetrical, if you don’t look too closely (lets repeat that mantra again, altogether now….)
The verdict: I decided part way through that I didn’t like the two fabrics together, they were somehow neither similar nor contrasty enough. But in the end they look fine. And the boy is happy, he has a new t shirt especially made for him, so all is fair in the world. For now.