This week has been slow sewing wise. Actually, that’s not entirely true, the other day I had a mending blitz and replaced a broken strap clip on hubby’s favourite bag as well as replacing some stitching on a leather patch on the bag before it came off taking the other end of the strap with it. Then I fixed a coat the Boy has just grown out of so I can pass it on, fixed one of my dresses, one of the Boy’s pajama top and finally got around to adjusting the elastic in the Girl’s Christmas skirt. Phew.
But new things making wise, it has been slow.
Partly this has been due to non sewing things, but I realised yesterday it was also that I was also a little bit put off by my plan for this week. I have 2 pieces of material I’d like to try the Day To Night top again. But after last time, I need to try and fiddle with the pattern a bit (although I suspect my friend wouldn’t mind so much if I gave her another iteration or two of that top as she really likes it). And the thought of working out how to do a FBA on a drape top seemed hard. So I kept waiting for the right time to start. Which never seemed to come.
So, today I switched it up and did a project from further down my to do list. A remake of my favourite Birgitte T shirt, in some scrumptious new fabric I got when in a recent splurge on the Kitschy Koo website. There’s not that much to say about the make, I used the same full bust adjustment (FBA) on the front as last time (which adds 3cm to the pattern piece so 6cm to the fabric as it’s cut on the fold), but I used the unadjusted sleeve this time.
Can you tell I’m pleased with it? Although those creases pointing at my armpit make me think there is a little room for improvement (maybe it needs even more adding in the bust?). Although I was wearing the 70’s Birgitte cut from the same pattern pieces yesterday and I’m pretty sure that one doesn’t have those creases.
I think doing FBA’s makes my back’s fit a little better, as the t shirt back is only a large (it would need to be XL or 2XL if I wasn’t doing a FBA), but there’s still folds of fabric in the small of my back. I think the next step is to investigate what sway back adjustments entail, unless anyone has a better suggestion?
For some reason the fabric seems a little out of focus in all my photo’. It’s this print which I bought from Kitschy Coo (and the above photo is from there too). The fabric is lovely quality, all the fabric I’ve ever had from there is lovely quality and it wears well, so I don’t mind the price so much as the much cheaper t shirt fabric I got last year is pilling like crazy (unlike the heavily worn t shirts I made the kids from fabric from this source). And did I mention the service is great too? Amanda is even patient and understanding with daft customers who hassle them about missing orders which turn out to be due to the customer giving her the wrong address.
The other place where there is a small room for improvement is the neck band, which doesn’t quite lie flat. Probably due to a combination of it being quite wide and being in self fabric not rib. I didn’t have any appropriate rib and wanted it to have a whole depth of a heart on, which I managed and looks nice, so I can live with the slight wobble.
Overall I give this make 9/10, it was quick to make, nothing went wrong, the fabric is lovely and wearing it makes me smile. I’ve even made a start on adjusting the pattern pieces for the Day to Night top.