I did it, I made a quilt, from start to finish, all by myself, my very first quilt, and I even finished it on time to give it to my brother and sister in law when we were visiting to meet their new baby.
Fabric: a fat quarter pack I got given for my birthday present from the recipients. Plus some nice “neutral” orange and turquoise from my local fabric shop. I got the cotton wadding there too.
Inspiration: This quilt here (although mine is clearly more garish and less classy!)
Making the quilt top: Getting everything to line up was, hard? tedious? frustrating? I dunno, it wasn’t as easy as it should’ve been somehow, and the result isn’t as good as I’d like, but things got better once I started doing LOTS of tacking before sewing. Maybe it would’ve helped to read some quilting advice but it all seemed to be either aimed at beginners (in a kind of how to use a sewing machine kind of way), or be needlessly complicated. So I forged my own way, pigheadedly.
Once the quilt top was finished I had to admit to myself that I knew not what to do next and luckily I managed to find a couple of tutorials at the right sort of level for me. Also, I didn’t want to buy any new kit to make just one quilt (actually, I did buy a gridded quilting ruler thingy as I figured that would be useful in “normal” sewing too. And it probably will be, if I ever find it, it went AWOL in the bombsite that is my sewing room half way through the project). So, I had no special curved safety pins, no walking foot, nada.
I basted my quilt using this method, although shh, don’t tell, but I didn’t use any starch. So any wrinkles are almost certainly my own. I used 2 struts from a recently dismembered sofa as my “boards”.
I took advice from one of the lovely assistants at my local fabric shop and quilted it using a window pane method, rather than trying to stitch in the ditch. I forgot to buy an appropriate turquoise thread for the bobbin, so I used some variated green/white thread instead, and then some variagated blue/white when I ran out. The quilting went better once I worked out to start in the middle of a side, rather than at a corner. Of course my most mismatched corner is smack bang in the middle of the K on the back in green thread, so shows up loads.
And I bound it using this tutorial, although I had to wing it a bit at the end as I machine attached the binding rather than hand finishing.
Then, just when I thought I had finished, I had over 120 threads to tie off. Yeurghhhh.
I did run up a quick taggie blanket out of the leftovers and some ribbons from my stash.
Ridiculously small cute niece didn’t really pass comment on the quilt, but she did try and stuff one of the ribbons of the taggie into her mouth when it was dangled near her. Her parents definitely seemed impressed though, although amusingly they’d completely forgotten about the fabric they’d bought me!
As the quilt only took half the width of the wadding I bought, I still have as much again left in my stash now, so there may be more quilting in my future, but not any time soon.