Phone cover

IMG_0061.JPG

Was it really only last week I said that I would never quilt again? I seem to have fallen off the wagon, but on a such a small scale and using the quilt as you go method, this quick make didn’t really seem like quilting at all.

The first side I did really simply, in a string/strip style, that would be great for a beginner.

The second side I did kind of log cabin style (well, as log cabin as you can get with a tall thin rectangle), which is a little more advanced. Then I cut them down to size and finished my seam allowances with a zig zag stitch.

I made a fold over tab for a fastening, but a simpler option would be an elastic loop, like I did when I made a tablet cover a while ago. The top is bound with bias binding.

And voila, one phone cover. A great way to use up scraps or memory fabric, and they make a great gift too.

Dandelion Tea

T shirts. A staple make for me, cos that’s what I wear day in day out, but I tend to make the same ones all the time, because I’ve adjusted the pattern for me and lets face it, how different can a t shirt be?

Then I saw the Chai t-shirt pattern by Liesl and Co, and not only do the pleats stand out, but the sleeves are different from the t-shirt patterns I have too, plus it has A/B, C and D cup size options, so I thought I might be able to get away with not doing a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA) and I decided to give it a go.

IMG_0019.JPG

Looking through my fabric to make a test one, I found this burgundy knit, with not much stretch, that I thought would do. I didn’t think there would be enough, so I pulled out a remnant of black jersey with a styilised dandelion print and thought I’d have to use it for the yokes and sleeves. In the end, I had enough to cut everything in the burgundy, but I had the idea in my head then so I cut the yokes and neckband in the dandelions.

Then one night whilst noodling on the internet I saw someone painting dandelions with a toilet roll tube. It looked so easy (this gives you the idea) and I thought, “I know, I’ll put a couple of dandelions onto the shirt front using some of my screenprint dye”.

IMG_0013.JPG

Needless to say it did not come out as well as the internet suggested it would. Luckily I tried it on a scrap bit of fabric. But LSH liked the seeds flying off that I’d done with the glue spreader.

So I tried again using my glue spreader, working lines around in a circle and then adding them inwards and that worked much better and I decided to go for it on my real fabric. (Obviously they didn’t come out quite as good as my test, but hey). Painting a flat piece of fabric that isn’t sewn up yet is definitely easier than painting a t shirt, a definite sewing perk.

So, after faffing around with printing the fabric and setting the dye, the t shirt came together really quickly. I attached the neckband my usual way rather than as the instructions.

The yokes and sleeves are size L, the main pieces are L graded to XL at the waist and the side seams are sewn in a slightly smaller seam allowance than the 1/2″ in the pattern because I was worried it would be a bit tight having had it over my head.  I chose the D cup. The fit is alright, but I think maybe I could use a little more room in the chest, the pleats hide what’s going on a little but I think there’s fabric pooling at the top due to it being a bit tight around my, err, chest apex.

So, as test garments go this is pretty wearable and I’m really chuffed with how the dandelions came out, it turns it from a “using up the oddments” garment into something special. Now to decide what to do next time, do I size up, or try and work out how to do an FBA on the front (which is a different shape to your average t shirt, cos pleats). Any thoughts on top tips?

Facecloth

I have been knitting some simple face cloths for a soap maker to put in her kits in exchange for some soap. The pattern is a bit like this and knits up pretty quickly, but after a few in a row I got a bit bored.

IMG_0001.JPG

So I found out the couple of balls of cotton yarn that I once bought but have no idea what to do with and knitted up a more interesting face cloth using this pattern which has a lovely short, concise instructional video on how to do the Knit Daisy Stitch.

It knitted up pretty fast and came out nice and square, although I did get a bit frustrated at times as the yarn tended to split.

IMG_0002

Once I cast of, I decided to be brave and try the crochet edge.  (Me and crochet don’t get on so well). I see now the edge is supposed to be US single (UK double) crochet. But I got confused and did a row of US double (UK triple) instead – following these lovely clear instruction.

Then I got bored and thought I’d try and do the reverse crochet edging someone was waxing lyrical about, but I didn’t like the video I found, and ended up following this one instead, adding a row of UK double (US single) crochet, and then doing a round of chains of 3 that are anchored into every other stitch with a slip stitch.

IMG_0003.JPG

I was pretty pleased with how it came out, until I realised that my facecloth is no longer square, doh!

Oh well. This one is being wrapped up and sent off with some bartered soap as a birthday present. If I get around to making another one with the rest of the yarn I’ll either skip the crochet or make an extra effort to pick up the stitches more evenly. Any top tips for evenly picking up stitches for crochet gratefully received!