X marks the spot

IMG_0215

In a (quite possibly futile) effort to persuade my son that some of the trousers that I made him previously really are getting too short to wear now, I have made the Boy some new ones.

IMG_0125

This is a new to me pattern , Ottobre 01 /18, no33 Metsäretki sweatpants (jogging bottoms) with front and back pieces, inset front hip pockets, side patch pockets, no ribbing at the hem (unlike previous pairs I’ve made him) and no separate waistband.  Oh and they were supposed to have a mock fly, but I left that off and went with a straightforward front crotch seam cos I coudn’t be bothered.

IMG_0111.JPG

This metre of looped backed sweatshrt fabric (French terry?) had been in the stash a while and I just managed to squeeze the pattern pieces on, so I couldn’t really do much with pattern placement. Which means when he next goes up a size I’ll need over a metre of fabric to make him trousers. Eek.

IMG_0117.JPG

I was just putting some of the offcuts on one side to use to patch the knees later (he always wears them through in the knees and it’s nice to have matching fabric to fix them with) when I realised I could be a bit pre-emptive, and I quilted the a patch in place behind each knee to reinforce them.   My leftovers weren’t quite the width of the trouser front, but I extended the quilting lines right the way across.

The front hip pocket pieces were a bit of an unusual shape what with the included waistband, but after a bit of headscratching over the instructions I got there in the end.

IMG_0122.JPG

I made liberal use of the “coverstitch” on my (regular) machine in matching yellow thread, but it did stretch the top of the pocket and the pocket flap out a bit, so maybe I shouldn’t have used it there (or maybe I should invest in a walking foot). I left the snaps off the pockets as I couldn’t be bothered and they’re not really big enough to hold much anyhows.

In general he approves, but he says the side pockets aren’t big enough. Oh and I still haven’t go the old pair off him yet.

Did you spot it?

IMG_0022

So this hat only took me about 2 years to make. (The Boy started but never finished some embroidery for the “plain” side. Eventually he forgot all about it and I ended up re cutting that side from some dark green linen, which I think looks rather nice with some gold topstitching.)

IMG_0008

Yet another reversible bucket hat from the Oliver and S pattern that I sized up long ago.  Finally finished for the walk and admired by a passing walker (wearing a baseball cap and envious of its superior 360 degree shade). Then it was left in the park the very next day and is now waiting safely for collection at my friends house. Sigh.

(I haven’t really been trying to take part in Me Made May this year, but I have been wearing something me made everyday because I generally do these days and quite often at least one other member of my family is wearing something me made too.  On the walk I had on my Mila Moose shirt, The Boy had this new hat, The Girl had her old hat and LSH was sporting the rucksack I made him.)