Right, first off, before it’s too late,
I, ProlificProjectStarter, pledge to wear at least one Me Made item every day in May.
Last year was my first MMM, I think I pledged to wear something me made 3 or 4 times a week and I actually managed to wear something every day. I now have more self sewn stuff in my wardrobe and wear a lot of it often, so lets see where the pledge leads me to this year.
Second, I’m going away this weekend, so I decided to find out a sock pattern so that I have something to do while I’m traveling. This is my first attempt at socks, I bought some pretty bamboo needles especially as I didn’t have any small enough. Fingers crossed I don’t get Second Sock Syndrome.
Lastly, I finally have some photo’s of my Ottobre jeans!
As easy as falling of a
So, the fit is definitely not perfect. But it is wearable as proven by the amount I’ve been wearing them.
I was actually directed to “stand on that brick” by my photographer. Serves me right for nobbling him on his way to work I suppose.
My mum declared them to be very well fitting and I didn’t even ask her. (This is an amazingly positive comment from a woman who is not known for mincing her words).
and the back
And I may have shown off and told people I’d made them a couple of times. To general amazement.
and the side
(Is there an ok way to show off your home made clothes to people who don’t sew?)
Ugh, ugly fold of fabric at the front
So, to make sure I don’t focus too much on my failure for perfection, here are my shop bought jeans. My only pair (and these were only bought after many demoralising tries to find something halfway decent).
and a few wrinkles at the back
I think my homemade ones fit better.
basted first fit, no zip at this point
My muslin started with an inch seam allowance. Which meant after my first basted fit I could extend the crotch length a little, which has improved the fit, but I think I will add more crotch length next time. (Initially I just added length to the front pieces, as I did on my Junipers, but I went back and added it to the backs as well which improved some of the smiles at the back too).
The other fitting adjustment I made was to pinch out some of the baginess at the centre back. I just altered the back centre seam so it curved in. I’m not sure that was the “right” thing to do but it has helped.
So, now I’m off to make sure I have some Me Made Clothes packed for my weekend away so I can get my pledge off to a good start. And who knows, maybe I’ll manage to get a second, slightly better fitting pair of jeans before the end of the month. (I can dream, right).