I had to ask didn’t I

The Boy has a birthday coming up. Traditionally I make him some item of clothing. I was thinking of some more trousers, or a jumper (sweater), or maybe both. But I had to go and ask him if there was anything he needed (answer, nope, so well done there on the Simplicity testimony), or wanted. I should’ve known better.

A hat that looks like a helmet for when I’m being a Wilder

(No, I’m not quite sure what a Wilder is, it’s a game they play. Think some kind of Robin Hood / Lord of the Rings /LARP type thing and you won’t be far off as far as I can tell.)

Well, I didn’t think I could pull off a complicated faux metal helmet hat, but we did see a simple leather re-enactment helmet recently (cannot find photo’s of anything similar to show you), and I thought I might add some fake fur trim, Game of Thrones style, and aimed to get something that looked a bit like this.

For a pattern piece, I started with a head circumference, divided by 4, and also measured from front to back of where the “helmet” would sit (over the crown, and divided that by 2, and then used these measurements to freehanded a pattern piece (I added seam allowances afterwards).

IMG_0199

I cut four out these out of some scrap fleece, but used the wrong side.  This is the inside, with the tops trimmed and the seam allowances sewn open with a faux flatlock stitch.

IMG_0200

Looking promising right?

IMG_0201

Next up a loop of faux fur, 3 inches wide, the circumference of my hat, was sewn on, right sides together (I cut this “cross grain”, as I was using scraps. I should’ve made it a big bigger really as it doesn’t have the stretch in the right direction, still I can squeeze it on and my head is humungeous).

I folded it in half round to the inside and then stitched it down from the rightside. I couldn’t stitch in the ditch as the faux fur wasn’t playing ball (the whole thing was sooo thick it barely fit on my machine and I broke a needle at one point), so my stitching line is about a cm above the fur.

So far, I have tried it on Little Sister. (The glower is to show she’s only trying it on under duress). It’s not perfect, but I think it will do for now. I may end up making another one (this one might be rejected or more likely lost), in which case I will try and improve my design (less height maybe, more width for the fur).

But so far, not a bad half hour make from scraps. (Yeah, I’ll probably do summat else too).