Ok, I’ve been thinking a lot about trousers and trench coats. And I’ve done myself a deal. If I get to the bottom of the pile of sewing projects that are in the corner of the dining room (where according to my husband they have no right to be as he envisioned all sewing in the new house would take place in the attic, ha) then I can buy the Colette Juniper pattern (just pausing to swoon over Dixie’s version again whilst I type) and work my way back up my list from there, completing each item before starting the next. (Although, whisper it, I’m starting to have doubts about the double breastedness of the Robson trench coat, I’m going to go try some on in shops).
So, yesterday at kids bedtime the pile looked like this…
Last night I managed to tack up the second pair of way too long school trousers that I bought the boy, put away some fabric scraps that were lying around from finished projects and make the threadbare yellow sheet into a terrible self drafted muslin for a top that was supposed to be like one I’d tried on in a shop. I can’t show you how bad it was because it was also see through, so the picture is indecent. I have an idea of how to improve it, but as it was the muslin that was on the pile, that is officially done and put away (I’m also leaving my subconcious to work on the top problem whilst I do other things).
So, tonight, have I worked on one of the 3 already started projects on the pile? No, I have done something new! Well, the fabric was only bought last week so it was on the top of the pile…
Isn’t it lovely? Not my usual thing, but I have a water bottle with camper vans on that my 17 year old niece was eyeing up in the summer as apparently she loves camper vans. She also mentioned that she doesn’t have a bag big enough to put her traners in to take to school so she has to use an plastic one. Now my niece is pretty cool, so I reckon she could rock the gym bag look.
It probably sprang to mind as I’ve made a couple for presents recently, albeit for slightly younger people. One for a My Little Pony loving girl about to start school
(quite pleased with the ric rac mane and tail and the button, err, bum decoration) and one for a bus mad boy about to start nursery…
this one is actually reversible, there’s tractor fabric on the inside and I found a ribbon with vehicles on too. The bus was reverse appliqued, so the red fabric was behind the blue, I straight stitched round the outlines, then cut away the blue that I didn’t want and finally zig zagged over the top, like this…
Straight stitched bus design, there is a red rectangle of fabric behind…
Cutting away the blue fabric to reveal the design before zig zagging edges
It definitely looks home made and not professional, but it’s acheived the striking image that I was looking for and I think the birthday boy liked it.
Nothing that complicated today though, just finished the side of the channel where the ribbon would go through
Pressed over at the top and sewed down my channel.
The contradting red thread matches my ribbon and is also to challenge me to concentrate on my top stitching.
Folded it in half, right sides together, channel at the top. Pinned a ribbon loop in place in the bottom corner with 2 raw edges, before pinning my two raw edges together
I put the folded ribbon loop at a 45○ angle
Then sewed and zig zag finished my L shaped seam. Then I just had to turn it the right way out, thread some ribbon through the channel with my trusty safety pin, put it through the loop as well, judge the length, sew the ribbon ends together (with raw edges folded in on themselves so they don’t show) and voila, a drawstring bag where the drawstring doubles as a handle