Or what I have been doing of late. ..
Well I finished the first Seasonal Sewalong Wardrobe, by the skin of my teeth, and by sticking to the letter of the sewalong (so including things I started before the challenge that I finished during it, which was allowed, but I hadn’t planned to include them, however I ran out of time). My theme was Everyday Essentials, and as I’m a pretty scruffy dresser who has to resist the urge to dress like a toddler whose been given complete free range, two mad print t shirts fit the bill well, as did two pairs of jeans. I upped my style quota a bit by making a Mila shirt too. I desperately needed warm tops in my life, the planned awesome hoodie never got started (sorry Thimberlina, it’s still on the to do list), but I did include my camel jumper, and the top that it was a muslin for, my (unblogged) dandelion jumper. This was a long standing UFO as I printed the dandelions onto the fabric at the screen printing day I went to last year and then it got put on one side whilst I faffed about testing my pattern rubbing skills on the camel jumper (which required screens to be ordered etc). However, despite being made with the same pattern pieces, it doesn’t fit as well and I think I might like the ribbed neck even less than the failed collar. Hey ho, they are both comfy and will be worn lots. I also made a pair of leggings, but didn’t finish the skirt they were planned to be worn with, so they don’t really fit in. They do however look really good with the red skirt I made last year so all is not lost. Plus I have finally made a pair of leggings that I’m happy with, huzzah.
Things that didn’t make it into the SSW1 but are now languishing on my pile are: Another pair of Liana jeans that are driving me insane for no apparent reason, I think it might be the fabric. Anyway, the pockets are now done (I’m liking the illusion image topstitching but can’t help thinking they’d be better further down the pockets. Oh well, I’m not doing it again now as this wasn’t my first attempt at the pockets). A woven top that I found part made in a Box of Broken Dreams and was going to finish but just did nothing with instead. Another Mila, that will be a variation that opens all the way at the front cos I messed up cutting it out. And the Evan skirt that I got really confused by and then never finished, despite having a very lovely and comprehensive email reply to my query from the designer. Turns out I can’t read (my conclusion, not hers I should point out, but definitely a valid conclusion).
We’re now on SSW2, sleepwear, and I’m going so much better. I’ve done 2 pairs of pyjama’s, which I think means I’m 1/3 way through the 6 items I need with two months still left to go (and if I’m wrong, I’m 2/3 way through, but making more items is fine too).
The shorts are the Domi sweatpants pattern made in t shirt knit fabric. I measured both kids, there’s 18 months between them and 2 inches height difference. There was only about 1cm difference in their waist sizes and nearer 10cm difference in their hip sizes. Which is why, when reading the “if in doubt go with the hip size” comment I picked completely the wrong size for him last time, as I hadn’t figured out that doesn’t work if you have a beanpole for a son. I made an age 11 in test blue fabric and it fit both of them ok (when buying her clothes I get age 9-10 at the moment as she is tall for her age, you just don’t notice when she stands next to him). She ended up with the blue test pair, made from mystery blue knit fabric (no idea where that came from) and remnants from one of my tops. They come with a badly self drafted raglan t shirt top that got turned sleeveless as it was too tight under the arms – but I think it looks pretty cool like that now. It also has a bow at the front, which serves a double purpose of letting her know which way round it goes and hiding the mend where I accidentally cut a hole in it. He got an orange and white/green striped pair that used a t shirt pattern I adapted before and the Domi shorts again. I love this pair of pj’s so much. I also like the Domi short pattern a lot better now I’ve worked out the sizing a bit better (but they’re still quite baggy on him), however I’m not convinced by the way the raw edge of the pocket is just zig zagged down – maybe it’d work better in sweatshirt fabric?
Fninally the stashbusting theme this month is selfless sewing, which felt right after concentrating on me for so long trying to get 8 SSW pieces done. As well as the two sets of PJ’s, I also made a hat for my friends daughter, to replace one that got lost. Blue and elephants, with floral trim. It was very popular. Plus I squeezed a bandana out of the remainding fabric and she made a bracelet out of the scraps. Also I took the opportunity to give to her mum the bag that I made ages ago, and then misplaced until very recently. Turns out it was her I gave my Drape Drape top too, which explains why the friend I thought I’d given it to never wears it.
I have now offically made more things than I can keep track of (including the pile of leftover fabric that I’d set on oneside to make into pj’s for the girl that I discovered I’d made into shorts and had no memory of whatsoever. They have been rejected by her, but another girl is now loving them, so all is well).