I did finish this years birthday hoodie in time, I just never got around to blogging it. Here it is in action, worn over last years hoodie, by a boy who is helping his sister “fly” an impromptu tent kite around a very windy campsite above Plymouth Sound on his birthday weekend.
I used the same pattern as before, sizing up two sizes, one for growth, one for the thickness of the fleece backed fabric. I wished I sized up more as it still looked a bit snug to me, then he went and wore it over last years jumper, so it can’t be too bad.
I used last years pattern hack to make thumbole cuffs again a la Kelly’s method. And like before I still managed to fluff up sewing them and had to unpick, at least it was only one this time. Note to self, pin/tack and turn the right way to check before sewing for real in future.
I used another one of Kelly’s tutorials to make some puffy elbow patches in taffeta (which really don’t photograph well) and learnt how to fell stitch them on as suggested, via the wonders of internet search engines. I was really pleased with how they came out, however, due to the rush job on this hoodie, I didn’t spend enough time thinking about placement. I cajoled his sister into trying on last years hoodie so I could get the right distance down the arm, but I just put them slap bang in the middle of the sleeve piece without thinking that the elbows are nearer to the seam allowance on one side than the other, so they’ve ended up in a really weird place. He doesn’t seem to mind though.
Spurred on by how my patches looked (at this point not realising they were in the wrong place), I made a larger wolf head patch, which ended up on the front (my orignal thought was the back, not sure what change my mind). I preferred it before it was sewn on, I think rounding off the shaggy fur for ease of application looses some of the wolfness. Also, I manage to painstakingly hand sew it on skewiff. Still, he seems to appreciate it.
This weird looking pocket is a phone pocket, made out of some scrap ribbing. You don’t see it on the finished garment as it’s inside the pouch pocket, an idea I got from a shop bought hoodie of his, but I added a top flap for extra security when climbing trees, flying tents etc.
This garment has been very hard to photograph indoors and he wasn’t co-operating with outside photo’s. Here it is half made, pretending to be a poncho and showing off the fleecey lining a little, the patch pocket I drafted (I didn’t even contemplate doing the hidden pockets from the pattern in this fabric), the hood in all it’s naked unlined snuggly fleecy glory, with knotted pajama cord drawstring and its “I don’t think grommets will stay in this fabric” button hole access.
Oh and I omitted the side zips. I’m such a rebel.
So no, it’s not as pretty as last years, but I had fun experimenting with new things, learnt a lot, and he is just as happy to wear it. Next year I need to start earlier though!